northeast registries

Commissioner for Oaths in Alberta

Most of our clerks are Commissioners for Oaths, so there is no need to make an appointment. Commissioners for Oaths are authorized to administer oaths, affirmations, and solemn declarations for documents staying within Alberta.

Please note that we can only commission documents which will remain in the Province of Alberta.

If the document you need commissioned will be leaving the province or the country or if you require a document “certified as a true copy,” you will need a Notary. We can provide you with a referral.

You will need to bring in the document to be commissioned and your government-issued photo ID.
Typical documents which we commission include:

  • Statutory declaration
  • Affidavits
  • Land title transfer
  • Dower consent
  • Pension documents and applications
  • Accountants and real estate license
  • Damaged or lost passport
  • Consent to Travel Form

If you aren’t sure about whether our Commissioner for Oaths will be able to commission your document, please call us at 403-531-6575. There is no need to make an appointment for this service – most of our staff are Commissioners, so there is always someone available to assist you.

A “Commissioner for Oaths” in the Province of Alberta may witness signatures on legal documents or witness a witnesses signature on legal documents such as Statutory Declarations, Land Titles Transfers, Vital Statistics Documents, Divorce Documents, etc. A “Commissioner for Oaths” may NOT perform other actions, such as certifying true copies, completion of documents, etc.

If your documents require certification by a Notary Public, you must have them certified by a lawyer. For a Lawyer in our area contact:

Shibley & Company
219, 8120 Beddington Blvd NW
Calgary, AB T3K 2A8