In-Transit Permits in Alberta

You’re about to transport an unregistered vehicle in Alberta, but are you sure about the legalities involved? When it comes to in-transit permits, what are they really and how do they work? Each type comes with its specific requirements, and their validity can range from 3 to 7 days, so let’s discuss these permits further and see how they can make your vehicle transportation hassle-free and legally compliant.

Types of Permits

Fundamentally, these documents are categorized based on their specific uses. You’ve got your Point A to Point B transportation permits, perfect for moving unregistered vehicles or trailers within the country. Then, there are Salvage Vehicle permits, designed solely for transporting vehicles declared as salvage. For cars needing repairs or servicing, you can obtain the Repair or Service Vehicle permit. Additionally, there’s a Test Drive Vehicle permit which facilitates potential buyer inspections and test drives. Remember, each type has unique requirements and limitations, so make sure you’re applying for the one that suits your needs best. It’s all about making transportation easier and legally compliant.

Validity Period Explained

The active periods for these permits vary depending on their purpose. For interprovincial transportation, a permit is valid up to 7 days. For Point A to Point B transportation within Alberta, it’s valid for 3 days. If you have a salvage vehicle, the permit is only valid for 24 hours. This period starts from the time the permit is issued, not from when you start your journey, and you are required to complete your transit within this timeframe. Failure to adhere to these timeframes can result in penalties. Always make sure you are aware of the validity period to avoid legal complications.

How to Obtain the Documentation

So, how do you go about obtaining an In-Transit Permit in Alberta? It’s simpler than you might think. First, determine the type of permit you need. Next, gather your documents. You’ll need proof of insurance, a driver’s license, and proof of ownership for travel outside Alberta. Finally, contact the Country Hills Plates registry at 403-531-6575 for assistance. Their team will guide you through the process and help secure your In-Transit Permit, making sure you’re ready to hit the road legally and safely.


The In-Transit Permit system provides a legal way to transport unregistered vehicles or trailers within Canada, ensuring that you’re on the right side of the law. The convenience factor shouldn’t be overlooked either; you can easily obtain permits online, saving you valuable time.

Moreover, these permits facilitate test drives, inspections, and mechanical services, making it easier for you to maintain and sell your vehicle. If you’re a dealer, In-Transit Permits are beneficial as they allow prospective buyers to interact with your vehicles. Overall, these permits offer a practical, efficient, and legal solution for your transportation needs in Alberta.

We’re Here to Answer All Your Queries

You can reach out to us at Country Hills Plates as we are equipped to provide detailed information and guidance for all of your registry needs. We are also here to assist with online permit applications and to clarify any confusion about permit validity and regulations. Remember to have your proof of insurance, driver’s license, and proof of ownership handy for any inquiries. Don’t hesitate to call for any assistance; they’re committed to providing excellent customer service.