Registering a Brand New Vehicle in Alberta

So, you’ve just acquired a shiny new vehicle in Alberta, and now it’s time to navigate the process of registering it. This crucial step ensures that your vehicle is officially recognized by the government and legally permitted on the roads. But, as with any bureaucratic process, there are a few important steps and documents you need to be aware of. In this discussion, we’ll uncover the necessary requirements and procedures involved in registering your brand new vehicle, from the essential documents you need to prepare to the guidelines for in-transit permits. Stick around, because we’re about to shed light on everything you need to know to get your wheels registered in Alberta smoothly and efficiently. Learn more Here

Required Documents for New Vehicle Registration

To register a brand new vehicle in Alberta, you will need to provide three essential documents: a Bill of Sale or lease documents, proof of insurance, and identification. The Bill of Sale or lease documents must have the necessary information, including the vehicle’s make, model, year, and VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). Proof of insurance should show that you have coverage for the vehicle, and it should include the policy number and the vehicle’s information. Identification can be a valid driver’s license or any other government-issued identification card. These documents are required to confirm your ownership of the vehicle and to ensure that you have the necessary insurance coverage. It is important to have all these documents ready when you go to register your brand new vehicle in Alberta.

Procedure for Presenting the NVIS Document

When registering a brand new vehicle in Alberta, one important step is to properly present the New Vehicle Information Statement (NVIS) document. The NVIS is a legal document that provides important information about the vehicle, such as the make, model, Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), and the manufacturer’s suggested retail price. To present the NVIS document, you must ensure that you have the original copy, as faxed or photocopied versions are not accepted. It is also important to note that if the Bill of Sale is in another person’s name, you will need to provide an Alberta government authorization form. Additionally, both parties involved in the registration or plate transfer process must be present or provide an authorization form. By properly presenting the NVIS document, you can ensure a smooth and efficient registration process for your brand new vehicle. Learn more Here

Authorization Form for Registering a Vehicle in Another Person’s Name

You may need to obtain an authorization form if you are registering a vehicle in Alberta that is currently in another person’s name. This form is required by the Alberta government when the Bill of Sale is in someone else’s name. The authorization form allows you to register the vehicle in your name instead. Both parties involved must be present during the registration process or provide the completed and signed authorization form. This ensures that the transfer of ownership is legal and documented. It is important to note that faxed copies of the authorization form are not accepted. The original form must be presented to the registry office. By obtaining the necessary authorization form, you can successfully register a vehicle in Alberta that is currently registered in another person’s name.

Steps for Joint Registration or Plate Transfer

Joint registration or plate transfer for a vehicle in Alberta can be done by ensuring that all parties involved are named on the Bill of Sale or by providing an authorization letter. To complete this process, follow these steps:

  • Make sure that the Bill of Sale includes the names of all parties involved in the joint registration or plate transfer.
  • If the Bill of Sale is in another person’s name, provide an authorization letter stating that the vehicle can be registered or the plates can be transferred to your name.
  • Both parties must be present at the registry office to sign the necessary forms or provide the authorization letter.

Forms can be found on this page

Guidelines for In-Transit Permits

As we have mentioned before in other blogs, we will go over intransit again to refresh your memory. To obtain an In-Transit Permit in Alberta, follow these guidelines for temporary transportation of a vehicle. An In-Transit Permit allows you to transport a vehicle for a period of 3 to a maximum of 7 days. To apply for the permit, you will need the pink slip if you plan to move the vehicle within Alberta. If you are taking the vehicle in or out of Alberta, you will need to provide a Bill of Sale. It is important to note that the permit is valid for temporary transportation purposes only. During the transit period, the vehicle must be properly insured. Make sure to have all the necessary documents ready and follow these guidelines to ensure a smooth and legal transportation of your vehicle.

Contact us to learn more